|This code has been put under version control in the project Pymol-script-repo|
This script will create an object for any Wavefront(.OBJ) mesh file. This is a way to extend the number of objects you can use. Also, you have more control over the coloring, transformations, etc than the CGOs. Although there are a number of these obj files on the web, you can also easily created them with open source tools (OpenFX, Crossroads3D). It takes literally, 2 min to get an object created and then loaded into pymol. Simply open OpenFX Designer, click File->Insert->Model, then choose any of the models (or create your own of course!), then export it as .3ds file. Then open the .3ds file from Crossroads3D and export as Wavefront OBJ.
- createWFMesh - create a mesh object from Wavefront (*.obj) formated file
Simply "import wfmesh.py"
NOTES / STATUS
- Tested on Pymolv0.97, Windows platform, should work on linux as well.
- Coloring is fixed for grey and sections of mesh are stored, but not used.
- Simple opengl calls; not optimized (display lists, etc) or anything.
- Vertex Normal code is broken, so normals are per polygon right now.
- Post problems in the discussion page, on 'my talk' page or just email me : firstname.lastname@example.org
import wfmesh cd /home/tlinnet/Software/pymol/Pymol-script-repo/files_for_examples wfmesh.createWFObj('torus.obj','Torus',flip=1) # Flip = 1, if OBJ created by openFX, crossroads3D combination wfmesh.createWFObj("torus.obj","Torus2",translate=[5,5,0], flip=1) wfmesh.createWFObj("ship.obj","Ship")